Friday, April 27, 2007

Why adult stem cells?

I keep getting asked why I am interested in adult stem cell research and therapy when there is so much research and development into embryonic stem cells.
My answer is simple. In my opinion university and private researchers, while fond of asserting the potential of embryonic stem cells (because these cells can become any cell or tissue in the body) have not prgressed very far at all - apart from creating tumors in animal subjects. Any real progress seems to be a long way off and my interest is in those patients with incurable diseases who can be helped RIGHT NOW.
Another reason I am cynical about embryonic research is that researchers in this field are hell-bent on keeping their whopping grants - the public trough is rich and full of goodies - and the taxpayer, as usual, pays.
And, yes, I have to admit that I have ethical problems with the destruction of a life that necessarily accompanies embryonic research. I have an uncomfortable feeling that before long we would see people selling human embryos or even farming them for research and I find that morally repugnant.
Adult stem cells, by contrast are quite a different kettle of fish. Firstly, if taken from the patient's own body, there are no rejection problems.What possible harm can be done? Secondly the technology is here now to take the cells required and multiply them in a laboratory until they reach therapeutic levels. Simply inject them into the affected, diseased and failing heart muscle or into the area surrounding a blockage of a coronary artery and a conservative 75-80% of patients regain a quality of life they cannot believe. When patients who were told to prepare for imminent death throw away their wheelchair or return to the golf course, then in my view that constitutes a miracle. Don't believe me - see and hear their own stories.

No comments: